Tuesday, November 9, 2010

It's not the destination, it's the journey...

Today was one of those non-stop 12 hour days that I have been craving for quite some time. To begin the day, I headed to RedLine Milwaukee for the 4th Annual Emerging Arts Leaders Summit presented by Arts Wisconsin. I have always loved summits/conferences because they leave me inspired and ready to create. The topic of today's summit was It's not the destination, it's the journey, which lent itself nicely to the situation I currently find myself in... an artist with a part time job, plenty of ideas brewing, and a few projects in the works. However, the lack of steady income has led me to question whether or not I should continue down this path. Fortunately, the wonderful insights and comments shared by the panel has inspired me to keep plugging away at what I'm doing.

After leaving the summit, I headed to work to make the money to pay for the summit. As an Arts Coordinator for the Zilber Boys & Girls Club, I have the ability to practice teaching the skills I have been developing since I was little. Today I worked on primary and secondary colors with the 1st graders. Some day I will be looking back on this as just a small piece of the larger picture of my journey.

Post painting results - an attempt to mix all the colors


The final event on my agenda was a Professional Development workshop: "Blogging your A.W.E. Project" with Artists Working in Education. For all the times I have refused to sign up for Twitter, Troy Freund really made it seem like a good idea. The next Professional Development workshop with A.W.E. will be on integrating math concepts into art lessons. Based on MPS math scores, I think this workshop will be of particular importance to my art curriculum at Zilber.

No comments:

Post a Comment