Saturday, November 20, 2010

From drab to fab!

Amidst my recent internet explorations I discovered an industrial design artist that struck my fancy. Patricia Weusten, of The Netherlands, designed an interactive 3D coloring book, which requires children's imagination and creativity to function properly.

"City in a Box is a series of three toy boxes with each its own theme. The themes are three of the worlds capital cities New York, London and Paris. When the City in a Box is opened it can be unfolded into a play city with the city’s most famous buildings, monuments and streets. It also includes play elements for children. When done playing the city can be folded back into a box for easy storage. City in a Box and all it’s accessories are made of cardboard which make it cheap and easily disposable." - Patricia's website

City in a Box invites children to color or paint the city in order to rid it of its drab cardboard box color and transform it into their own city. This has inspired me to develop an "Our City" project that I will implement in the upcoming weeks with the kids I work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment