Sunday, March 14, 2010

William Eggleston at The Art Institute of Chicago

On Friday, I ventured down to Chicago with a friend to visit the William Eggleston show at The Art Institute of Chicago. Her and I both have photography degrees, so it was an interesting mix of critique and awe while walking through the gallery.

I was amazed by the clarity and vibrancy of Eggleston's Kodachrome images from the Los Alamos and Troubled Waters collections, but seeing these dye imbibition prints made it hard to look at everything else. Granted, it was still a real treat to see some of his early work, including a few black and white photographs.

This has always been my favorite photograph taken by Eggleston. Although, it didn't really hit me why until my nose was almost smudging the glass of the frame. Besides the lovely clash of colors and patterns, I can almost hear the rusty springs creek as she sat down, feel the slight summer breeze on my face, and smell the musty weather damaged cushion. I imagine that she is a closet smoker and this is her backyard hide out, a place where her husband can't spot her from the kitchen window.

All in all, I am very glad to have seen some of the photographs that made me fall in love with photography and learn a thing or two about the medium, as well!

Links: Dye Imbibition Process, Kodachrome Project, William Eggleston portfolios

No comments:

Post a Comment