Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Soft focus

Today was successful and inspiring.

I had a wonderful evening of photography programming at the Daniels-Mardak Boys & Girls Club. We explored old film cameras and compared them to digital point and shoot and SLR cameras! I broke down photography into a few categories: portrait, documentary, snapshot, and narrative based on the four books I brought. This introduced the Club members to different ways of seeing the world and how photography can be incorporated into daily life. Then, we went on a photo adventure around the club so I could get a better feel for their skill levels and interests. Next week is silly dress-up portraits week (and yes, I said they could dress me up in any of the clothes/hats/accessories I bring, haha).

The drive home was a bit scary because of dense fog, but it did remind me of Bill Jacobson's photography work. He is known mostly for his soft focus photographs of people and New York City. What really strikes me are the portraits because they suggest foggy or lost memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment