Monday, October 4, 2010

Antique treasures

Over the summer I visited a rather large antique store in Duluth, Minnesota. I explored their collection for about an hour before finding the camera/photography section, which was full of beautiful, old expensive cameras including a few brownies. After drooling over these for quite some time, I decided to stop torturing myself and just walk away. To my surprise, I walked right into a table filled with boxes of old photographs. For those who know me, you can imagine my initial delight, and then contemplative sadness towards these photographs of memories and people who no longer exist. I tried imaging the stories behind each photograph and how the individuals in the photographs felt at the time they were taken. Before splurging to purchase all the photographs, I moved on to the next table where I found something even more lovely... a box full of stereographs! Oh how I have loved these treasures ever since I learned about them in a History of Photography class. Now, I could not pass up the opportunity to own a few of these since I have never seen them sold in any capacity other than on the internet. After a while of indecisiveness, I settled on the following three:


 


I feel connected to each of these for a different reason and love the fact that they are from 1897, 1902, and 1899.

 For more information on stereographs, visit: 

No comments:

Post a Comment