Wednesday, December 1, 2010

character and beauty

These are a few examples of the portraits my 4th and 5th grade girls of the Joseph J. Zilber Boys & Girls Club are working on. For some reason, I have always been drawn to portraits created by children. Unlike subject matters such as landscapes and still life's, portrait inaccuracies are forgivable. Often times, the "mistakes" are what give a portrait its character and beauty. A professor once told me to never be afraid of showing imperfections. If done in the right way, it can be very effective.



Despite my thoughts on imperfections, I still feel obligated to teach children the way my art teachers taught me. I started the lesson with a brief explanation of proportions and how to make use of the entire sheet of paper. 

A few of the portraits will be submitted to the Boys & Girls Clubs National Fine Art Show, which I organized last year with Ashley Gustafson

No comments:

Post a Comment