Thursday, February 18, 2010

Kodak Brownie camera

In my last post I briefly mentioned Mr. George Eastman and his unforgettable invention: the Kodak Brownie reusable box camera and compatible rolled film. This invention completely revolutionized the photographic industry.
Consequently, any "school boy or girl" had access to a camera because of the price and service of having someone else load, develop, and print their photographs. Great, right?! Well, there are always two sides to every story. Now, the professional photographers, who had already replaced most of the portrait painters, were competing against the average citizen. Perhaps this was karma, coming back to bite them in their behind for the work they took away from the painters. I am not positive which side I agree with more, but the one thing I do know is that history repeats itself... and once again, photography has been completely revolutionized. This time, it's by the digital world. Again, I am torn as to which is better. Both film and digital have their places. Does it mean I have to decide one? I hope not! If you were being sent to a dessert island and could only use film and a darkroom or digital with computer, scanner, and output, which would you choose?

No comments:

Post a Comment